Where do you find the sacred?

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Embrace of Silence


Leaving your everyday environment and escaping the worries and fuss that plague us daily is sometimes very difficult to do. But if we take some time, even if its only 10 minutes, we can shrug off the stress that can consume us. For me, the best way to do this is to be in nature. Whether it is sitting quietly around Phoenix Lake, watching the waves from the bluffs of Muir Beach, or my personal favorite spending some serene moments in Muir Woods. I feel that nature provides us with this incredible opportunity to connect with the spirit! In my opinion when we interact with nature we get to come into contact with some of God’s creation that isn’t influenced by the technology that at times seems to run our life. I think the best way for us to experience nature is to leave all of our iPhones, iPods, iPads, and whatever apple releases next at home or in the car and go by ourselves and just sit and be with our thoughts for as much time as we can. For me the best place for this just happens to also be one of the most gorgeous places known to this planet, and we are all fortunate enough to have it so near to home. Muir Woods is so wonderfully silent and the sound of the ancient trees swaying in the wind makes me feel a connection with not only the spirit but with all of God’s creation that has come before me. So I urge you, the next time you have even the smallest amount of free time, spend it in God’s beautiful creation and embrace the silence.

-Kendall Sones


No comments:

Post a Comment