Where do you find the sacred?

Monday, March 5, 2012

Camel Knees, Running Shoes and Cycling on the Open Road

Did you know James, the brother of Jesus, frequently knelt while in prayer and supposedly formed callouses on his knees earning him the nickname 'camel knees.' In our home we don’t have calloused knees, but we do have a litany of running shoes and well-worn cycling tires. No matter where I am, the trails of Marin, or around the canals of the Amsterdam, or between the cornfields in Pennsylvania, I find a renewed sense of peace when I’m out on a long run. For Jay taking a moment between intervals at the top of Mount Tam keeps life in perspective. Jay and I both find our endurance activities give us a pause in the day to reflect, to listen and to think on life.

Where do you go to find God?

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author an perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

~Heb. 12:1-2

2 comments:

  1. This is great! Thank you for sharing. And I love the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Driving to church on Sunday morning I have often found myself frustrated be the hordes of bikers on the roads, wishing they would just get out of the way or go to church or something. However, this past week when the weather was so beautiful I was reminded that biking, running, or just being outside can be a form of worship in its own right. Thanks for the reflection.

    ReplyDelete